Other free programs you may be interested in are
yWriter 5 Novel Writing Software--This is a word processor which breaks your novel into chapters and scenes, helping you keep track of your work while leaving your mind free to create. It will not write your novel for you, suggest plot ideas or perform creative tasks of any kind. It’s a standalone application which runs on Windows PCs. It doesn't need or use an internet connection, and all data is stored on your own computer.
yTimer 2 Countdown Software—How many times have we promised ourselves that we would only spend 20 minutes on email or at least sit and write for one to two hours? Often that 20 minutes turns into an hour and 20 minutes and we walk away from our writing after only 20 minutes because the phone rings or we need to take out the garbage or—well, you get the idea. This program lets you run an unlimited number of countdown timers, with a popup message and an optional audio alert when the countdown reaches zero. You can also choose to run a program or open a URL in your default browser when the timer goes off. Timers are specified in days/hours/minutes/seconds, and if you close the program with active timers, it will automatically restart them with the correct remaining time when you reopen it. yTimer runs in the system tray, so you can easily ignore it until the moment comes for it to unleash your reminder.
RMP 3 (Remind Me Please)—This is a freeware reminder program which will give you advance warning of upcoming events, appointments, TV programs, movies, birthdays and so on. Enter one-time or repeating events: daily, weekly, monthly, yearly and specials like “Every two weeks from 7/24/2011” or “Third Sunday of each month.” This program is not a resource hog like Outlook.
Haynes offers many more free programs than the ones I’ve experimented with. By the way, his programs are free of spyware, adware or trojans. He offers the programs free; however, you have the option of making a donation, ordering one of his science fiction ebooks, or promoting him on Facebook and Twitter. For the software downloads, go to www.spacejock.com.
What’s in it for you?
- Monthly Book Forum where you can network with others, ask questions, find contacts, & promote your works & book events.
- A presence on the very activewww.nmbook.org website, including a members only section.
- Participation in the Annual Meeting & Gala, the Book in Hand Honors, & the Holiday Fiesta Party.
- Libro, a newsletter about writers, publishers, & all book professionals in NM.
- FLASHnews updates on important book events.
- Exposure for your books in the yearly showcase catalogs.
- The calendar of events & author signings to which you can submit your events & learn about what’s happening on the NM book scene.
- The online edition of New Mexico’s Book World (a comprehensive resource guide & directory of people, businesses, & institutions).
- Professional development workshops & programs featuring experts sharing their knowledge on topics related to your interests.
- Representation at NM book fairs & festivals, as well as regional book trade shows.
- A chance to gain recognition for your books in the Southwest Book Design & Production Awards competition.
- An opportunity to develop friendships with some very smart & helpful people.